Kootenai County Clerk Cliff Hayes has announced the following changes to November ballot:
- Tim Herzog and Jack Schroeder have each filed as a write-in candidate for County Commissioner District 1, against Todd Tondee. (There is no Democratic opponent in the race.)
- Wade M. Larson has withdrawn for North Idaho College board of trustees, Seat C. (Remaining candidates: Vickie Ambrosetti, of Post Falls; Gary W. Coffman, of Coeur d'Alene; James W. Ruch, of Coeur d'Alene; Fritz Wiedenhoff, of Rathdrum; Dean Haagenson, of Hayden; and Ron Nilson, of Coeur d'Alene.)
Unchanged are races for:
- County Commissioner District 3, where Dan Green is unopposed.
- Prosecuting Attorney, where Barry McHugh is unopposed.
- County Sheriff, in which Ben Wolfinger will face independent challengers Joe Bodman, Tom Dickson, and Bob Foster
Question: Can anyone explain to me why people file as a write-in for a race they can't win, like the one for Kootenai County Commissioner Todd Tondee's position?