North Idaho’s fringe, right-wing groups captured another 15 minutes of fame, courtesy of the New York media. On Thursday, the New York Daily News featured a photo essay of the Light Foot Militia, snapped by Reuters photographer Matt Mills McKnight. The article showed North Idaho and Spokane militia members drilling and bonding at their third annual retreat near Priest River – some 73 in all, at peak time. A mother brought her 12-year-old daughter and another girl to the testosterone-fest. Sasha Goldstein of the Daily News reports that the girls shot “large weapons.” And that militia members got “extensive training to expect the unexpected: rifle and pistol shooting, first aid, mines and close quarter combat.” Close quarter combat? Now there’s something that’ll come in handy at those Black Friday sales after Thanksgiving/DFO, Sunday SR Huckleberries. More here.
SR weekend column roundup:
- Spin Control: Advisory vote costs on rise/Jim Camden
- Slice: Even good intentions can be scrambled/Paul Turner
- Garden: Ponds, streams can make real splash/Susan Mulvihill
- Play and learn adds new dimension to library program/Cindy Hval
- Eye on Boise: Funds suggest re-election on Labrador radar/Betsy Russell
Question: Do you think 73 participants in a backwoods North Idaho militia drill is worthy of New York media publicity?