The Spokesman-Review has obtained copies of emails and phone messages sent to the city of Coeur d'Alene in wake of the dog shooting by a police officer at Java on Sherman parking lot. Some are nasty. Some even threaten police. Here's an example:
- "Ron H. Clark looks like a 'Dog.' We all know what happens to Dogs in Coeur d'Alene. Watch out Ron, Obama hasn't taken our guns yet!"
- "Here's a tip, don't murder innocent dogs. Congratulations in joining an ever growing list of police departments in this country that fee it's perfectly fine for their officers to murder dogs with no justification."
- "A man with a receding hairline and no morals known as Chief Clark is currently aiding aqnd abetting the murderer, hiding him from the public. Pathetic, and the citizens are not going to continue allowing violent trigger happy goons to continue these abuses any more."
- "Nothing would make me happier tonight than to hear that your 'distraught' officer, who will undoubtedly be cleared because he reasonable feared the dog would jump through car glass, was gunned down in the line of duty in the same cowardly way he treated that dog."
- Why do you shoot innocent dogs? You should be disgusted with yourselves. That (expletive deleted) needs to be fired immediately and charges should be fired. The scum needs to go to prison for such sadistic behavior.
- Fire the cowardly, untrained, officer that shot the '(NOT PitBull). Pathetic police work, I hope all the worst for your department."
- I hope your cop friend rots in jail an loses his job, but we both know a promotion is in order. If he had actually killed an unarmed human, he would be promoted to Chief of Police tomorrow.
- How can some idiot be trusted with a gun if they go around killing a family member?
- A barking dog is generally no threat to anyone but a (expletive deleted) pig.
Question: Many, many emails have this same tone. I can understand the public anger over this shooting. But the response in some of the emails is way over the top. Why do you think that is?