Joker contends that state Sen. Bob Nonini, R-Post Falls, is North Idaho's Teflon Man. (File Photo: Duane Rasmussen)
North Idaho remains a hotbed of ultraconservatism. It shows how hard the “patriot” groups have been working to establish a stranglehold on the political machine. While these groups are prone to internal revolutions, they rally at the polls and elect candidates who reflect their views. Here are some other takeaways:
- Luke Malek bought himself two more years – barely. He should be buying Larry Spencer a case of beer. Larry is responsible bringing 900 crazies to the Democratic Party. If they had stayed home in the Republican camp, Chico would be headed to Boise.
- Bob Nonini is our own Bill Clinton. Nothing sticks to this guy. He’ll be in office as long as he continues to espouse Tea Party rhetoric.
- Voters didn’t forget Rick Currie’s bumbling as county commissioner. He’s a nice man, but he can’t speak coherently. Kathy Sims still wants to be mayor someday, but for now she’ll continue banging away at URD laws.
- The biggest loss for North Idaho was John Goedde going down. We lost political clout, access and a voice on critical committees. Mary Souza won’t make many friends in Legislature with her shrill and abrasive style.
- The Democratic Party in Kootenai County continues to fail to provide alternatives. They’re worst and share a huge responsibility for the right wing radicals that will be giving North Idaho a bad name.