In the final results from Yellowstone Drag Strip and the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series 6th Annual Summer Championships it was Shawn Cowie, Delta, B.C., and Sean O'Bannon, Ontario, Calif., taking the wins and the trophies.
Courtesy: NHRA Media Relations
ACTON, Mont. (August 23, 2009) – In the final results from Yellowstone Drag Strip and the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series 6th Annual Summer Championships it was Shawn Cowie, Delta, B.C., and Sean O'Bannon, Ontario, Calif., taking the wins and the trophies.
Cowie ran in the 5.50's (seconds) all day working his way through the field and matched up against Jim Whiteley, Grand Junction Colo., in the final. Cowie ran a 5.513 second pass at 261.67 to Whiteley's slowing 7.757, 116.61 for the win which should give Cowie the Northwest Division Championship and drastically help his chances of a National Championship as well.
O'Bannon came from the No. 1 qualifying position to post the win over Ken Webster who is battling for the division championship with Brian Hough. O'Bannon runs out of the NHRA Pacific Division, clocking in at 5.795 seconds at 248.52 mph to Webster's 5.944, 244.92 mph. Hough suffered a first round loss to Clint Thompson which will hurt his chances of repeating as the Northwest Champ.
Billings' own Kristi Dever took the win in Top Dragster with a lap of 7.568, 177.84 mph in her dragster over Darren Stettner who had mechanical problems from the start while Clint Sallee added a win for the home state running out of Glendive, Mont., in the Comp Eliminator field over Dale Giroux, Canyon Creek, Alb., CAN.
In Super Stock it was Carroll Warling,
Other winners were Michael Dalrymple, Sunnyside, Wash., in Super Comp; Mark Resen, Spokane, Wash., in Super Gas; Bobi Legner, Pierre, S.D., in Super Street; Barry Daniluk, Red Deer, Alb., CAN., in the Auto Max USA Top Sportsman class; and Rick Newport of West Valley, Utah, in Sportsman Motorcycle presented by Harley Davidson.
Northwest Division racers head to Champion Raceway for the last stop in the NHRA Northwest Division Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event, September 25-26.
The following are the final results from the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series 6th Annual Summer Championships event at Yellowstone Drag Strip:
TOP ALCOHOL DRAGSTER:
5) Ashley Bart,
4) Justin Davis, Murrieta, Calif., 5.530, 256.75;
2) Shawn Cowie, Delta, B.C., 5.555, 258.86 def.
7) Cody Perkins, Bluffdale, Utah, 5.620, 252.66;
6) Joey Severance, Spanaway, Wash., 5.548, 257.78 def.
3) Kevin Wayman, South Jordan, Utah, 5.556, 252.57;
1) Jim Whiteley, Grand Junction, Colo., 5.479, 259.01 def.
8) Eugene Tumbarello, Denver, 5.723, 247.47;
Cowie, 5.541, 261.67 def. Severance, broke;
Whiteley, 5.476, 261.47 def. Bart, foul;
Cowie, 5.513, 257.43 def. Whiteley, 7.757, 116.61.
TOP ALCOHOL FUNNY CAR:
5) Clint Thompson, Klamath Falls, Ore., '06 Monte Carlo, 5.843, 236.13 def.
4) Brian Hough, Junction City, Ore., '06 Monte Carlo, 9.936, 69.48;
3) Brian Thiel, Pleasant Grove, Calif., '02 Camaro, 5.914, 241.41 def.
6) Dave Germain, Toledo, Wash., '02 Firebird, 7.980, 105.75;
2) Ken Webster, Red Deer, Alb., '09 Monte Carlo, 5.926, 243.24 def.
9) Paul Anderson, Firestone, Colo., '03 Camaro, 5.971, 240.34;
1) Sean O'Bannon, Ontario, Calif., '08
8) Jordan Pawlick, Calmar, Alb., '02 Avenger, 10.258, 111.70;
O'Bannon, 5.797, 248.57 def. Thompson, 5.850, 245.36;
Webster, 5.876, 244.78 def. Thiel, 5.891, 243.99;
O'Bannon, 5.795, 248.52 def. Webster, 5.944, 244.92.
def. Dale Giroux, Canyon Creek, Alb., '04 Cavalier, B/AA, 7.311, 187.16.
Carroll Warling, Brighton, Colo., '74 Grand Am, SS/MA, 11.439, 115.78 def.
Norm Lapointe, Sherwood Park, Alb., '07 Cobalt, GT/AA, 9.851, 135.17.
Jon Irving, Boulder City, Nev., '78 Aspen Wagon, N/SA, 12.890, 100.70.
Geoff Hughes, Eagle,
Darren Stettner, Regina, Sask., dragster, broke.