Andrew Ranger displayed a dominant car at times at Sun Valley Speedway in Vernon, B.C. located just across the Canadian border from Wenatchee, Wash. Ranger opened up a lead of nearly 10 seconds at one point. However, with the late restart, he beat Steckly to the line by .561 seconds.
Courtesy: NASCAR Media Relations
VERNON, B.C. – In the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1, Andrew Ranger held off Scott Steckly on a green-white-checkered finish to win the A&W Cruisin’ The Dub 300 on Saturday night at SunValley Speedway.
Ranger displayed a dominant car at times, opening up a lead of nearly 10 seconds at one point. However, with the late restart, he beat Steckly to the line by .561 seconds.
After winning four races on road courses in his series career, the 22-year-old Ranger, out of Roxton Pond, Que., won for the first time on an oval track after flirting with it several times over the past two seasons. The 2007 series champion now has five wins and is just one behind Steckly on the all-time win list. It was Ranger’s second win of the 2009 season after winning at Mosport International Raceway in June.
Ron Beauchamp Jr. finished third, a lap down, as only Ranger and Steckly finished on the lead lap.
DJ Kennington and Kerry Micks finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
Rounding out the top 10 was Anthony Simone, John Gaunt, Jason Hathaway, Don Thomson Jr. and Dave Whitlock.
The race was slowed by caution just three times for 28 laps.
Earlier in the day, Beauchamp won his first series career pole.
Unofficially in the championship point standings, Ranger holds a 42-point lead on Kennington and has a 45-point lead on Beauchamp.
The NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented Mobil 1 heads to Edmonton next Saturday, July 25, for the Canadian Tire 100 which is part of the Rexall Edmonton Indy weekend on the 1.973-mile temporary road course at Edmonton’s City Centre Airport.
NASCAR CANADIAN TIRE SERIES presented by MOBIL 1-A&W Cruisin' The Dub 300 UNOFFICIAL Results
At SunValley Speedway
Vernon, British Columbia
Lap length: 0.5 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (7) Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Que., Ford, 306 laps, 81.612 mph, $9,500.
2. (11) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 306, $8,500.
3. (1) Ron Beauchamp, Jr., Windsor, Ont., Dodge, 305, $6,000.
4. (2) DJ Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 304, $4,800.
5. (4) Kerry Micks, Mt. Albert, Ont., Ford, 304, $3,500.
6. (6) Anthony Simone, Holland Landing, Ont., Chevrolet, 304, $3,200.
7. (9) John Gaunt, Barrie, Ont., Dodge, 303, $2,900.
8. (15) Jason Hathaway, Appin, Ont., Dodge, 303, $2,700.
9. (3) Don Thomson, Jr., Hamilton, Ont., Chevrolet, 303, $2,600.
10. (8) Dave Whitlock, Petrolia, Ont., Dodge, 301, $2,500.
11. (5) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Dodge, 299, $2,300.
12. (14) Trevor Seibert, Williams Lake, B.C., Ford, 299, $2,200.
13. (12) Kent Nuhn, Williamsford, Ont., Chevrolet, 297, $2,100.
14. (13) Pierre Bourque, Ottawa, Ont., Dodge, 290, $2,000.
15. (16) Joey Hanssen, Venray, Holland, Dodge, 290, $1,900.
16. (10) Jason White, Sun Peaks, B.C., Chevrolet, 256, $1,850.
17. (17) Dexter Stacey, Kahnawake, Que., Pontiac, 0, dns, $1,750.
Time of Race: 1 hour 52 minutes 29 seconds
Margin of Victory: .561 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R.Beauchamp, Jr. (98.328 mph, 18.306 seconds)
Caution Flags: 3 for 28 laps.
Lead Changes: 7 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Beauchamp,Jr. 1-79; D. Kennington 80-88; A. Ranger 89-133; R.
Beauchamp,Jr. 134; A. Simone 135-139; A. Ranger 140-206; M. Dilley 207-211; A. Ranger 212-306.
Standings: 1. A. Ranger, 847; 2. D. Kennington, 805; 3. R. Beauchamp,Jr., 802; 4. S. Steckly, 798; 5. K. Micks, 760; 6. A. Simone, 732; 7. D. Whitlock, 731; 8. J. Hathaway, 676; 9. M. Dilley, 647; 10. K. Nuhn, 632.