Steve Kinser looks to add to his impression record in inaugural events, which has seen him win nearly 60 times with the World of Outlaws when the series debuts at a track.
Courtesy: WoO Sprint Car Series Media Relations
Pocola, OK-April 7, 2010- The World of Outlaws are returning to the state of Oklahoma for the first time since 2005 on Saturday, April 10 at Tri-State Speedway in Pocola, for what will be the biggest event in the history of the high-banked 3/8-mile. Steve Kinser, the 20-time World of Outlaws champion, was victorious in the series last race in the Sooner State nearly five years ago.
Five drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season have won with the series during their careers in Oklahoma, with Kinser leading that list with 22 career triumphs in the state. Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending series champion has also visited Victory Lane in the Sooner State, along with 2001 series titlist Danny Lasoski who has three victories in Oklahoma, as well as Hall of Famer Jac Haudenschild who has two wins in the state and California native Tim Kaeding, who is currently among the Top-10 in points.
Jason Meyers leads the series with three wins this season along with Top-10 finishes in each of the first nine races of the campaign, which has him out front in the point standings by five markers over Steve Kinser, with Joey Saldana third, only 20 points behind, with Schatz and Jason Sides rounding out the Top-Five.
Sam Hafertepe Jr. is the only driver competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season that has raced at Tri-State Speedway in his career, making two starts a couple of years ago at the high-banked 3/8-mile.
The event will kick off with a Meet & Greet at Hooters in Fort Smith, Arkansas on Friday from 3-5 p.m. Central with current World of Outlaws point leader Jason Meyers along with Craig Dollansky on-hand.
- Jason Meyers looks to continue his strong start to the season which has seen him finish among the Top-10 in each and every race as he chases his first series title.
- Steve Kinser looks to add to his impression record in inaugural events, which has seen him win nearly 60 times with the World of Outlaws when the series debuts at a track.
- Joey Saldana will compete for the first time since having 10 screws and a plate inserted into his broken left hand after the last race at Volunteer Speedway on March 20. He has won twice this season and is currently third in points.
- Craig Dollansky looks for his first win in the state of Oklahoma, having finished ninth or better in six consecutive starts in the Sooner State and has scored Top-10 finishes in eight of his last nine starts in the state.
- Tim Kaeding looks to rebound from a couple of hard wrecks at Volunteer Speedway in his first trip to Tri-State Speedway in Pocola. The California native is currently 10th in points and finished fourth last weekend at Attica Raceway Park in Ohio.
- Brian Ellenberger looks to carry momentum from a win at Lernerville Speedway last Friday night into the event at Tri-State Speedway.
- Lucas Wolfe also looks to carry momentum from a win at Williams Grove Speedway on March 26 and a ninth-place finish at the half-mile last weekend.
- Rookie Ben Gregg looks to build on two very strong runs at Volunteer Speedway, including a heat race win and dash appearance en route to matching his career-best finish with the series in the opener on March 19, as well as earning the KSE Racing Products Hard Charger Award the following night.
- Sam Hafertepe Jr. has made two starts in his career at Tri-State Speedway and is the only driver competing full-time this season that has raced at the track.
- Lee Sowell will make the trip to Pocola from the Memphis area and make his first start of the season with the World of Outlaws.
"We're very pleased with how the season has started and will continue to work very hard. Once again you have seen the level of competition raised this season. I think there are more teams running very strong that there ever have been. It's going to be a tough season. We're off to a good start and we'll keep digging."
"There are few places where I haven't run, and every once in a while they'll be a new place on the schedule. I always enjoy going to places where I haven't raced before. Sprint car racing has been a big part of my life, so it's fun to go to new places and give some new people a chance to see what it's all about. It's a good challenge. You get to the track and try to compare it to somewhere you've been before and go from there."
"It's fun to be able to race from coast to coast and then even halfway around the world, but it's also fun to get back to some places where we haven't been in a while. When I was really young, the Outlaws raced in Oklahoma and north Texas quite a bit. I'm looking forward to getting back to that area this weekend. I've raced in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Muskogee and then also at places like Batesville (Ark.) that are in that part of the county. I think it's important for us to be racing in that area. There are a lot of Sprint car fans there."
"With these guys, they are good every time they roll in to a track and open the trailer door and we know it. We'll just do our best and keep our head down and see what we can do. When you can get up there and run with those guys and be comfortable it's always going to help and translate into the future."
By the numbers- Inaugural World of Outlaws event at Tri-State Speedway in Pocola, Oklahoma
1- Event in Oklahoma for the World of Outlaws this season
2- Drivers contending for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award in 2010
3- Track records that have been established in time trials at World of Outlaws events this season
4- Tracks in Oklahoma that the World of Outlaws have competed at over the years
5- Points that separate current leader Jason Meyers & Steve Kinser at the top of the championship standings; Drivers competing full-time that have won with the series in Oklahoma
6- Drivers that have won A-Feature events thus far in 2010 with the World of Outlaws
7- Drivers that have been fastest in time trials this season
8- Drivers that have won a dash to earn a pole position in 2010
9- A-Feature events contested by the World of Outlaws so far this season
11- Drivers competing full-time in 2010 that competed in the series last race in Oklahoma at Outlaw Speedway in 2005
18- Drivers currently competing full-time with the World of Outlaws
20- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws in Oklahoma dating back to 1978
22- Career A-Feature wins with the World of Outlaws for Steve Kinser in Oklahoma to lead all drivers
25- World of Outlaws championships accounted for by drivers competing full-time with the series in 2010
58- Points that separate the Top-Five in the series standings
69- A-Feature events contested by the World of Outlaws in Oklahoma dating back to 1978
553- A-Feature wins for Steve Kinser in his career with the World of Outlaws
1978- Year the World of Outlaws first raced in the state of Oklahoma
2005- Year the World of Outlaws last competed in Oklahoma
10,000- Dollars the winner will receive on Saturday, Apri