Two nights of racing action set as the world’s fastest sprint cars head into North Dakota with a tight points battle for the 2010 championship.
Courtesy: WoO Sprint Car Series Media Relations
Grand Forks, ND-June 17, 2010- Following a stretch that saw the World of Outlaws compete on big tracks in 12 of the last 14 races, the series returns to a bullring this weekend for two full nights of racing at the high-banked and always exciting River Cities Speedway in Grand Forks, North Dakota on Friday June 18 and Saturday, June 19.
Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending World of Outlaws champion, who hails from North Dakota won in the spring last season at River Cities Speedway to score his second career World of Outlaws win at the track and the third of his career there. He has finished in the Top-Five in all four World of Outlaws events at River Cities.
Joey Saldana, the current World of Outlaws point leader, was victorious in the World of Outlaws debut at River Cities Speedway in 2007. He finished second in both races at the track last year and was third there in 2008. The second generation driver has an average finish of second in four starts at the track to lead all drivers.
Craig Dollansky scored his first World of Outlaws win at the track last August, which was the second victory of his career at the high-banked bullring. The Minnesota native has finished eighth or better in all four of his World of Outlaws starts at the track with three of those being Top-Five performances.
Jason Meyers, who is currently second in points and leads the series in wins with six, set a new track record at River Cities Speedway last August, charging around the track in 9.269 seconds, which is the quickest lap of any track on the circuit.
On Saturday, there will be a special “Pit Party” from 2-5 p.m. Central, where fans will be able to visit the pit area prior to the race to receive autographs, take photos of the drivers and cars and receive a number of giveaways.
· Jason Meyers set a new track record in time trials at River Cities Speedway blistering the high-banked bullring in 9.269 seconds, which is the quickest lap on the circuit.
· Joey Saldana, the current World of Outlaws point leader, won at River Cities Speedway in the series debut at the track in 2007 and has finished on the podium in all four of his starts at the track
· Donny Schatz has won twice with the World of Outlaws at the track in his home state and looks to add to his two victories this season
· Steve Kinser, who is in the midst of his first season driving for Tony Stewart Racing, has finished third and fifth in his last two starts at River Cities Speedway as he looks for his first victory at the track.
· Jason Sides has three Top-10 finishes with the World of Outlaws at River Cities Speedway and has eight overall Top-10 finishes at the track.
· Danny Lasoski has a couple of wins in his career at River Cities Speedway and has finished in the Top-10 in seven of his eight starts at the track.
· Craig Dollansky has won a couple of times at River Cities Speedway including last year with the World of Outlaws and has finished in the Top-10 in each of the series four races at the track.
· Jac Haudenschild finished second in the World of Outlaws debut at River Cities Speedway in 2007 and has been in the Top-10 in all four of the series events at the track. He has one career win at the track to go along with Top-10 finishes in all seven of his career starts at the bullring.
· Ben Gregg and Toni Lutar, the two contenders for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award this season will both be making their debut at River Cities Speedway this weekend.
One year ago
Donny Schatz nearly had a clean sweep in the spring race for the World of Outlaws at River Cities Speedway. The four-time and defending series champion set fast time, won a heat and the feature, with the only blemish on his night being a second-place finish in the dash. He used a strong run on the second lap to take the lead from Steve Kinser and would go on to pick up the victory over Joey Saldana, with Kinser third, Jason Sides fourth and Craig Dollansky fifth. Along with Schatz, Kinser won a heat as did local hot shoe Chris Shirek, while Kinser took the dash.
When the series returned to the high-banked bullring in August, it was Craig Dollansky leading the entire distance to score his second career win at the track over Saldana, Tim Kaeding, Schatz and Kinser. The night began with Jason Meyers shattering the track record in time trials, with heats going to Danny Lasoski, Kinser, Mark Dobmeier and Dollansky, who also won the dash.
By the Numbers: River Cities Speedway
0.25- Miles around River Cities Speedway
1- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that hails from North Dakota- Donny Schatz
2- Wins for Donny Schatz at River Cities with the World of Outlaws to lead all drivers
3- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the series at the track; Drivers that led laps in feature events at the track last season
4- Races in North Dakota this season for the World of Outlaws; A-Feature events the World of Outlaws have contested at River Cities Speedway dating back to 2007
6- A-Feature wins this season for Jason Meyers to lead all drivers
9.269- Track record established by Jason Meyers in time trials last season
12- Drivers that have won A-Feature events this season with the World of Outlaws; Drivers that have been quickest in time trials; Drivers that have won a dash to earn a pole position in a main event
13- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season that raced at River Cities Speedway last year
16- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season
20- Drivers that have led laps in feature events this season
25- A-Feature events contested by the World of Outlaws through June 13
30- Laps led by Craig Dollansky en route to winning last August at River Cities Speedway
32- Points that currently separate Joey Saldana and Jason Meyers atop the World of Outlaws standings
39- Laps led by Donny Schatz en route to winning last June at the track
116.517- Track record in miles per hour
152- Laps led by Joey Saldana this season in feature events to lead the series
777- Miles from Missouri State Fair Speedway where the World of Outlaws compete on June 16 to River Cities Speedway in Grand Forks, North Dakota
2007- Year the World of Outlaws first raced at River Cities Speedway
116,200- Dollars earned by Joey Saldana this season to lead the series