Arrow-right Camera

Office Hours

Tue., Feb. 14, 2012, 12:44 p.m.

IRS offers tax tips for military members

There are some tax rules exclusive to the military, and the IRS wants to remind active duty and reserves of them so they can maximize their returns:

Moving expenses: active-duty military can deduct "reasonable, unreimbursed" moving expenses incurred because of a change of station.

Combat pay: Monthly pay for enlisted persons and warrant officers is untaxed if they served in a combat zone that month.

Travel to reserve duty: Members of the Reserves can deduct unreimbursed travel expenses for traveling more than 100 miles from home to perform reserve duties.

For a full list of military tax tips, visit,,id=210896,00.html

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus
« Back to Office Hours

The Spokesman-Review business team follows economic development in Spokane and the Inland Northwest.