Posts tagged: fire
Fire investigators say a fire that destroyed a helmet business and a vacuum cleaner business Friday in Coeur d'Alene was likely caused by arson.
Investigators found a gas can under a desk in the building housing Helmet Outlet USA, the Coeur d’Alene Press reports. The Kootenai County Sheriff’s Department stated that Fire Marshal Jeryl Archer II determined that gasoline had been poured on the desk before the fire started.
The Friday night blaze also destroyed a Kirby vacuum business located in the same building.
Michael Murphy, who owns the building and the helmet business, said both are considered a total loss.
Avista Corp. is making temporary changes to its power line operations as a result of dry conditions and wildfire risk.
The changes could result in customers being without power for longer periods of time if outages occur, officials said.
Lines are normally reenergized automatically when they’re down. Now, however, line personnel will physically patrol the outage area before the line is put back into service to reduce fire risk.
Affected areas include Spokane, the Palouse and the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley. Depending on weather conditions, other parts of the Avista service territory could also be affected.