Outdoors blog

MONDAY, NOV. 22, 2010, 12:23 P.M.

Get permit to cut Christmas tree

NATIONAL FORESTS -- Ho, ho, ho! It’s time for many to honor the family tradition of heading to a national forest to cut a Christmas tree.

First stop should be to a U.S. Forest Service office to get a $5 permit. Families can purchase up to three “tags.”

In Spokane, the get the permits at the federal map and information center at the BLM office, 1103 N. Fancher Road Monday- Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

The Coeur d’Alene River Ranger District offers a “permit by mail” system. Get the order form online.

Use the tree-cutting expedition to help forest managers. Drive or walk up little-used back roads or even gated roads and cut trees growing within the road prism – from the top of the cut bank to the bottom of the fill slope. This helps to reduce the number of trees that grow large and encroach on the road.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus
« Back to Outdoors blog
Rich Landers
Rich Landers writes and photographs stories for a wide range of outdoors coverage, including a Sunday feature section and a Thursday column. He also writes the Outdoors Blog.

Follow Rich online: