WINTER SPORTS -- The 37th annual Sandpoint Winter Carnival is adding some horsepower to its 37th annual event, which runs Wednesday through Sunday between venues from Sandpoint to Schweitzer Mountain Resort.
Skijoring -- horses towing skeirs on a loop track and over jumps will debut in the activity lineup on Saturday and Sunday at the Bonner County Fairgrounds.
“Sandpoint has a great culture -- a good mix of horse people and a great ski mountain -- and this time of year most people aren’t doing much with their horses and many skiers are looking for a new challenge,” says Matt Smart, owner of the local trail ride company Mountain Horse Adventures.
Read on to see the schedule of other events and activities including food tasting, rail jams, firedancers, torchlight parade, poker skiing, K9 Keg pulls, snowshoe treks and more.
- KPND Ski & Board party. Music, libations and tons of prizes, 5-8 p.m., Trinity at City Beach, 58 Bridge St.
- Taste of Sandpoint. Annual food fest with tasty samples from nearly two dozen restaurants, 5-8 p.m., Sandpoint Events Center, 515 Pine St.
- Rail Jam and Bonfire. Downtown streets are closed as skiers and boarders lay out their best moves, 7-9 p.m., Jeff Jones Town Square, Main and Third.
- Bio-Luminesce Firedancers. Hypnotic pyrotechnical dance routines for “fire spinners, ” 5:30 p.m., Pend d’Oreille Winery, 220 Cedar St.
- Dine Around and Shop Around Sandpoint. Deals, contests, drawings at restaurants and retail locations around town; runs throughout carnival.
- Skijoring. Horses, riders, skiers and boarders compete for fame and fortune, noon to 4 p.m., Bonner County Fairgrounds.
- Schweitzer Torchlight Parade and Fireworks. One of the biggest events, following a day of other fun haps on the mountain, 6 p.m.
- Country Western Dinner and Hoedown. It’s an après skijoring party with food, raffles, festivities and dancing to live music from the Mia Kohal Band, a high-energy 6-piece country band, 6 p.m., Trinity at City Beach, 58 Bridge St.
- K-9 Keg Pull. Dogs of all shapes and sizes sprint for glory pulling appropriately sized “kegs” – for Chihuahua, that’s a beer can, for rots or shepherds, it’s a full-size keg, 10 a.m. to noon, Eichardt’s, 212 Cedar St.
- Skijoring. Finals and style division, noon to 4 p.m., Bonner County Fairgrounds.
- Schweitzer. Snowshoe hike, poker skiing, scavenger hunt and more.
- Family Day on the Bridge. Mask making, spam carving and Oreo cookie stacking contest, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Cedar Street Bridge, First and Cedar.
- Shop Around and Dine Around Sandpoint. Closing events and drawings for prizes.
- Schweitzer. Snowshoe hike, 10 a.m. to noon, and on-mountain activities.