WINTER TRAVEL -- Slippery roads this week are a reminder that drivers should be prepared for mishaps that might catch stuck, stranded or off the road in winter conditions.
A bag of items stashed in your vehicle could spell the difference between comfort and misery if not -- in the worst case scenario -- life and death.
Carry a survival kit in your vehicle.
- First-aid kit
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Cellular phone and charger
- Windshield scraper with snow brush
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Extra winter clothes including shoes, hats and gloves
- Compact shovel
- Traction aids (bag of sand or cat litter) and tow strap
- Emergency flares
- Jumper cables
- Non-perishable food and bottled water
- Road map
- Candles, matches, non-liquid firestarter.
- Special-needs items vehicle passengers may require.