GEOLOGY -- “Anatomy of Cheney-Palouse Scabland Tract,” a free lecture by geologist Gene Kiver, will be presnted by the Ice Age Floods Institute, 7 p.m., on May 3 at the JFK Library Auditorium, Eastern Washington University, Cheney campus.
- Sign-up in advance for the May 4 Ice Age Floods annual field trip, which involves a bus tour from Lake Steptoe Ridge to the headwaters of Rock Creek. Cost: $55-$70.
- Info: Melanie Bell, firstname.lastname@example.org, (509) 954-4242.
Read on for details about the field trip.
Annual Spring Field Trip, Saturday, May 4, 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.,
Leaders: Gene Kiver and Bruce Bjornstad
The field trip is an all-day deluxe bus tour that will explore the Rock Creek section that drains the east side of the huge Cheney-Palouse Scabland Tract. The trip will begin in Cheney viewing the beginning of the tract at the Cheney-Medical Lake Steptoe Ridge and proceed south to the headwaters of Rock Creek at Turnbull NWR and continue to Rock Lake and south to Escure Ranch (BLM). From there the tour will proceed north to Sprague Lake where Cow Creek drains the west side of Cheney-Palouse Tract. An abundance of rugged scabland features including butte and basin, dry falls, streamlined loess hill remnants, and confusing array of coulees occur in this remote area of the Channeled Scablands.
Deluxe chartered buses will leave from Eastern Washington University, Cheney, Parking Lot P18 at the Red Barn off Washington Street at 8 a.m. on Saturday, April and will return prior to 6 p.m. Buses will begin loading at 7:30 a.m. Registration Fee is $55 for current 2013 Institute members; $70 for non-members; $30 for teachers; and students.
- Field Trip Fee includes: knowledgeable field trip leaders,
- a bound, very detailed and well-illustrated Field Trip Guidebook with photos,
- a delicious custom Box Lunch prepared by Lenny’s of Cheney, and
- a comfortable deluxe chartered bus.
Seating is limited so early registration is recommended. Detailed information, registration form and liability release form are available at www.iceagefloodsewa.org, Calendar Tab.
More info: Linda Long, field trip registrar, email@example.com or call (509) 235-4251.