MOUNTAINEERING -- Two ski mountaineers have set a speed record for climbing and descending Mount Rainier from the Paradise parking lot, scorching the icy slopes in 3 hours, 57 minutes and 55 seconds.
Andy and Jason Dorais of Salt Lake City set the record on June 5, a couple of weeks after another pair of mountaineers had erased the 4:50 records in a time of 4:19.
Both of the Dorais brothers predict the record times will drop significantly as speed runners refine the routes and techniques and pick the perfect conditions.
- See Andy's description of the climb and descent.
- See Jason's description of the effort.
- See Powderwhore Productions account.
Jason's food for the effort: 5 powergels mixed in 16oz gatorade plus 16 oz Red Bull.
- Time: 3:57:55
- Moving time: 3:24:34
- Distance: 14.12 miles
- Average moving speed: 4.1 mph
- Maximum speed: 33.4 mph
- Elevation gain: 9,103 feet