But doctors treating Marco Lavoie after his rescue in the wilderness of northern Quebec say he may not have survived his four-month ordeal had he not killed and eaten his dog.
Some fascinating points to the story:
- Lavoie, 44, was close to death when a rescue crew found him last week.
- His canoe and vital supplies were destroyed by a bear at the start of a planned two-month trip in August.
- Lavoie's German Shepherd may have saved Lavoei's life by chasing away the bear in the initial attack.
- But three days later, facing the possibility of starvation Lavoie, killed his doting companion with a rock.
- The first words Lavoie reported spoke to medical staff: 'I want to get a new dog.'
Lavoie had lost 90 pounds and was suffering from hypothermia when rescuers found him Wednesday. News reports from Monday indicated he was still in critical condition.
Could you kill your faithful canine companion if you thought it would be the difference between your life and death?