A suspected serial burglar who tried fleeing court in April is to be arraigned Wednesday on 20 felonies related to a six-month string of break ins in the Spokane area.
Cole T. Monson, 36, described by law enforcement as the "nemesis" of property owners, is accused of 13 burglaries that ended in March, just before several raids by the Spokane County Sheriff's Office netted a slew of stolen property.
Spokane County prosecutors filed charges last week. Monson faces 13 counts of second-degree burglary, as well as second-degree assault, car theft, eluding police and possession of a stolen car for an alleged police chase March 13.
His suspected methamphetamine dealer, 28-year-old Tamara D. Geurin is charged with possession of a stolen car, but she's already serving a seven-year federal prison sentence for meth distribution that was handed down July 2.
Also charged in the case is 48-year-old John "Animal" Rose, who is accused of one count of second-degree possession of stolen property for items found in his home during the March 23 raid.
A fourth suspect, 36-year-old Terri Lynn Burkhart, alias Gunderson, is charged with second-degree possession of stolen property, second-degree theft and second-degree burglary after detectives say she helped Monson rob the coffee shop she used to own of a computer with information pertaining to a lawsuit.
According to a 26-page, (mostly single-spaced with few paragraph indents) statement of facts, Monson admitted the burglaries to police and said he "wrote the book on pursuits with the police."
Monson reportedly told police after the March 13 chase that "he was so high at the time that all he could do was focus on not getting caught and not getting killed in a crash," according to the statement.
Here's a list of Monson's alleged burglaries:
- Sept. 25: Dale's Maintenance, 11323 E. Dishman-Mica Road
- Oct. 16-Oct. 19: Inland Construction, 1620 N. Mamer
- Oct. 20 or Oct. 30: 8704 E. Bigelow Gulch Road
- Nov. 16: Ashgrove Cement Co., 1312 N. Thierman
- Dec. 5: Sunbeans Tanning and Espresso, 3117 N. Argonne Road
- Dec. 14: B & B Towing, 5603 E. Broadway Ave.
- Dec. 23: Transpro Industrial, 6519 E. Riverside Ave.
- Dec. 25: Pohl Springs, 6415 E. Nixon
- Feb. 28: East Valley School District, 18202 E. Euclid
- March 2: Terex Utilities, 3020 N. Flora Road
- March 3: General Dynamics, 12825 E. Mirabeau Parkway
- March 9: Precision Electrical, 2205 N. Woodruff.
- March 13: Barton Jeep, 10819 E. Sprague