Arson caused a fire that damaged a home in Spokane Valley early Sunday, officials said today.
The blaze at 4418 E. 15th Ave., caused more than $100,000 in damage to the home and took more than 25 firefighters to quickly contain.
The family was away camping for the weekend, according to the Spokane Valley Police Department.
Crews were called to the home about 3 a.m. and saw smoke and flames coming from the front of the building. They believe the fire burned and smoldered “for some time” before it was reported, according to a news release by Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford, department spokesman.
Neighbors reported hearing noises and seeing a dark-colored vehicle with hits headlights off speeding away from the home, which is owned by Mandi J. Nordhagen, according to property records.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Check at (509) 456-2233 or the Fire Department at (509) 928-1700.