Some people shooting them off in the park at Broadway Avenue and Chestnut Street apparently didn't get the memo.
The suspects shot an ill-pointed Roman candle from the park to a house across the street, said Lisa Jones, the city's fire marshal. The firework hit a bush in the front yard, which was engulfed in flames. By the time firefighters arrived, the flames had spread to the front porch and into the house.
A man driving by tried to help, firefighters on the scene said. When he saw the fire, he pulled over, grabbed a gardenhose and tried to stop the blaze. The would-be volunteer firefighter left when the professionals showed up, they said.
Firefighters were able to put the flames out before it spread too far, Jones said.
No one was hurt. The owner didn't appear to be home.
Remember, even sparklers are illegal in Spokane County and much of the surrounding areas. Jones, a self-described "overprotective mom," said parents should consider how often they've told their kids to step away from the stove when they're cooking bacon.
Sure, the flying grease can be dangerous, but it's not going to reach the 1,200 degrees a sparkler can, she said.
"It's our cultural practice that that's something kids can play with," Jones said. "They're little blowtorches."
Fireworks fines in the City of Spokane start at $513.
Seriously, they're illegal, and can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Leave it to the professionals.