ADVERTISEMENT
Advertise Here

The Slice

Getting stuff on the kitchen ceiling

“A few years ago, I was roasting some chestnuts in the oven but forgot to make cuts in the shells,” wrote North Idaho resident Debbie Kitselman. “Pretty soon there was the sound of chestnuts detonating.”

There was no time to lose.

“We managed to get the tray out of the oven safely by throwing a towel over the nuts which were by now exploding at an alarming rate. The plan was to carefully lift the edge of the cloth and stab each one to release the built up steam.”

Easier said than done.

The first attempt resulted in a scalding explosion of chestnut guts.

 Kitselman's rugged husband ran to the garage and returned with a pair of safety glasses.

“Here,” he said to his wife. “Put these on and be careful.”

Then, as Kitselman tells it, he backed away and left her to deal with “the ensuing carnage.”

They ended up having wash the kitchen ceiling and the cabinets. But everyone survived.

www.taste.com.au   


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus
« Back to The Slice

Get blog updates by email

About this blog

Features writer Paul Turner is a columnist for The Spokesman-Review in the Features department. He writes "The Slice" column, which appears six times a week and produces general features stories for the Today section.

Latest comments »

Read all the posts from recent conversations on The Slice.

Search this blog
Subscribe to this blog
ADVERTISEMENT
Advertise Here