Advertise Here

The Slice

Who should be a “Dr.” in the newspaper?

If you are familiar with the S-R's style, you know we refer to medical doctors, dentists and veterinarians as a doctor, but not those with an academic Ph.D.

Would you change that in any way?

Personally, though I have friends who are academic doctors, I'm happy with our policy. But my attitude about this was hardened years ago, at another newspaper.

One of my editors began dating a college professor. Not long after that she came in one day and suggested that we start giving academics the “Dr.” treatment in print.

I cannot recall if any of the reporters literally threw up. But it was a long time ago.

Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus
« Back to The Slice

Get blog updates by email

About this blog

Features writer Paul Turner is a columnist for The Spokesman-Review in the Features department. He writes "The Slice" column, which appears six times a week and produces general features stories for the Today section.

Latest comments »

Read all the posts from recent conversations on The Slice.

Search this blog
Subscribe to this blog
Advertise Here