One of my colleagues confided that she had a thing about Jim Morrison when she was young.
This had come up in a conversation prompted by the passing of his Doors bandmate Ray Manzarek.
Alas, she never got together with the charismatic singer. She was left to ponder what might have been.
What kept them apart?
1. Geography. (My colleague grew up in the East, while California was Morrison's base of operations.)
2. Other people. (Morrison was involved with a variety of other women.)
3. Substance abuse. (Morrison had a drug problem.)
4. Age. (My colleague was significantly younger than the often shirtless singer.)
5. Timing. (Morrison died when my colleague was 3.)
6. Cruel fate. (Sometimes you can stare and stare at an album cover -- a certain Carly SImon record comes to mind -- and, no matter how hard you wish, your fantasies fail to come true. Darn it all.)
7. Justice. (My colleague would never say this, but she's too good for the Lizard King.)