OLYMPIA -- Many Washington state employees will get another three-day weekend after this Friday, but this one will be without a paid holiday.
Next Monday is the first of 10 unpaid "furlough" days the Legislature mandated this spring as it battled over ways to close a looming budget deficit. Most non-essential personnel will stay away from work next Monday and nine other designated days without pay. Estimates from the Office of Financial Management say that all-told, that will save the state about $70 million.
A state employees union challenged the furloughs, but a judge has declined to issue an order that would block them.
If you're thinking about zipping across the state at 100 miles an hour without having to worry about being caught by a state trooper, however, think again. Law enforcement personnel on the streets are exempt from the furloughs.
So are corrections officers, emergency public heath and safety personnel And while the state Liquor Control Board offices are closed, the liquor stores will be open.
Next furlough day will be Aug. 6.
For a list of all the offices, agencies, boards and commissions that will be taking the day off, go inside the blog.
· Board of Accountancy
· Commission on African-American Affairs
· Archeology and Historic Preservation
· Arts Commission
· Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs
· Conservation Commission
· Council for Children and Families
· County Road Administration Board
· Criminal Justice Training Commission
· Early Learning
· Eastern Historical Society
· Office of Education Ombudsman
· Employment Security (local WorkSource offices and the unemployment claims call center will remain open)
· Environmental Hearings Office
· Office of the Family and Children’s Ombudsman
· Financial Institutions
· Financial Management
· Fish and Wildlife
· Freight Mobility Strategic Investment Board
· General Administration
· Growth Management Hearing Boards
· Health Care Authority
· Higher Education Coordinating Board
· Commission on Hispanic Affairs
· Horse Racing Commission
· Indeterminate Sentence Review Board
· Governor’s Office of Indian Affairs
· Information Services
· Labor and Industries
· Liquor Control Board (Liquor stores open)
· Pollution Liability Insurance Agency
· Puget Sound Partnership
· Recreation and Conservation Office
· Citizen Commission on Salaries for Elected Officials
· Sentencing Guidelines Commission
· Social and Health Services
· State Patrol
· Board of Tax Appeals
· Traffic Safety Commission
· Transportation Improvement Board
· Utilities and Transportation Commission
· Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board