A family returned from camping Sunday night to a rude shock. Their rental home had burned in a fire that fire investigators believe was arson. The Spokane Valley Fire Department was called to the 4400 block of East 15th at 3 a.m. Sunday morning. When firefighters arrived they saw fire and heavy smoke coming from the front of the house, said assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford. The fire had apparently burned inside for some time before it was noticed since no one was home.
Neighbors reported seeing a dark colored car drive away with its lights off, said Clifford. The department's arson dog, Mako, was brought in to sniff for accelerants. "He found several spots inside the home," Clifford said. Anyone with information on the arson is asked to call Crime Check at 456-2233.
The damage to the home is estimated to be at least $100,000. The home was insured, but the family of two adults and three children who were renting the house did not have renters insurance.