This home in the 15100 block of East Sixth in Spokane Valley was damaged by an attic fire on March 5, 2012. Firefighters had to rip open the wall and roof to put out the fire. Photo courtesy the Spokane Valley Fire Department.
A teenage boy noticed smoke in his home in the 15100 block of East Sixth in Spokane Valley Monday and called the Spokane Valley Fire Department just before 1 p.m. A fire was located in the attic and it took firefighters 20 minutes to rip holes in the roof and the walls to put out the flames, according to a fire department press release. It appears that the fire started near the fireplace and damages could top $15,000. The teen was able to get out of the house safety and there were no injuries.