I would like you to chew this over a while this week and give us your opinion.
The question is simple, but the answer is hard to really prove. But take your best shot.
There are two big-school football teams in the Spokane-Coeur d’Alene area still playing: Spokane’s Gonzaga Prep and CdA’s Lake City.
If they met, who would win? And why?
Simple huh? Well, not really. Both are excellent teams from excellent programs with excellent coaching staffs.
Both have senior leadership, both have size and speed, both are undefeated on the field.
But they won’t meet. LC is playing for the Idaho State 5A title Friday night in the Kibbie Dome and the season is over. G-Prep plays a Washington State 4A quarterfinal game Saturday at home, hoping the season continues at least another week.
As you ponder your answer, consider these facts:
• Lake City is 11-0 and has outscored its opponents 459-169.
• The Timberwolves have scored more than 50 points three times, more than 40 seven times.
• In their two playoff games, they have yielded just 14 points.
• The closest game was against archrival Coeur d’Alene, a 20-18 regular season decision in which LC committed enough penalties to keep Al Davis happy. The next time the teams met, LC won 48-7.
• Gonzaga Prep is 11-0 on the field (the Pups’ lone loss was a forfeit for using an ineligible player for a few fourth-quarter plays in a 47-7 blowout at Bellarmine Prep).
• The Pups have outscored their opponents 362-101.
• They have scored more than 40 points twice and more than 30 seven times.
• The defense has yielded more than 10 points only twice, has a shutout and has limited the opposition to a single score six other times.
• The teams have two common opponents: Lake City defeated Central Valley in a non-league game 55-14 at CV, Gonzaga Prep beat the Bears 37-14 in a GSL game at home; Lake City defeated Moses Lake 38-21 in a non-league game in Moses Lake, G-Prep stopped Moses Lake 32-26 last week in overtime at G-Prep in a state playoff game (one other piece of information about the Moses Lake games: ML’s WSU-bound lineman BJ Guerra only played part of the LC game due to injury, he was on the field all the time last weekend).
Armed with that information, and your own feelings and intuitions, click the comments link and tell us which team you think would win. Give a final score and some imagined highlights if you want. Be positive toward your team of choice and don’t demean the other, it’s not necessary.
All I know is, if the two would play, it would be an excellent game.
When I go through your comments on Friday, I’ll give you my opinion.