Remember that old ditty you may have sung as a child? Rain, rain, go away; come again some other day.
Well the M’s need to revise it a little. Rain, rain, go away … and don’t ever come back!
The M’s lost their sixth game (it is only April 25) to bad weather Tuesday, meaning the off days later in the season are disappearing fast and doubleheaders are inevitable.
For a team with a suspect pitching staff, that’s not the best news in the world.
Today’s hot list …
• Of course the game stories are not game stories, they are pieces on the rain outs. Here they are from the News Tribune, the P-I and the Times. There is the Texas perspective from the Dallas Morning News and the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram.
• Instead of focusing on the rainout (the story above is really a notebook), the Times had a feature on backup catcher Jamie Burke, who has played a lot lately.
• One of the stated goals this season for Seattle was to be more patient at the plate, to draw more walks and improve the on-base percentage. Hasn’t happened yet, according to this P-I notebook.
• The M’s are in Oakland tonight (7:05; FSN; 920-AM) with Jarrod Washburn (0-2, 4.42 ERA) on the mound against Mariner killer Joe Blanton (2-0, 4.13).
• Today’s question …
• If you were making up the lineup, how would you change the order to make it more productive?