Though Cougar coverage is taking up most of my time, I still find a few moments to cruise up and down the Web like a crazed spider, running down bits and pieces of information about Inland Northwest sports. And this is what I found this morning …
• Here are a couple of interesting Gonzaga basketball notes for you, one about former Zag Bakari Hendrix, still chasing his basketball dreams at age 30. The San Francisco Examiner had this story.
The other Gonzaga note concerns this year’s schedule. According to this Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel story, the Zags and Marquette almost came to an agreement on a home-and-home contract. But it fell through.
• From the Mariners, there is this fun L.A. Times story about how the Angels are feeling the M’s heat. Yah, I know, Seattle is still in the Angels’ rear-view mirror, but heck, the M’s aren’t falling off to the side of the road like the Rangers, who broke down months ago, and the A’s, who have yet to put together their patented second-half run.
There is this piece from Iowa, of all places, on M’s farmhand Jeff Clement. Of course Clement is an Iowa native.
• For those of you – and I know there are a couple because I hear from you occasionally – that harbor dreams of the Sonics staying in Seattle, read this Greg John’s story in the P-I and abandon all hope. Sorry.
• And, for you Hawks’ fans – sorry that you’ve been abandoned thus far this fall – here is Dave Boling’s column following last night’s win in San Diego.
• Finally, an inside source told me last week the Spokane Indians were going to win the Northwest League title. I laughed. I’m not laughing anymore.