COUGARS • UPDATED: 9:55 A.M.; 10:55 A.M.
The weather in the Inland Northwest was frightful, to quote a Christmas song that shouldn't be in vogue for another month, but seem apropos now. But Washington State's basketball team is in Seattle, where the weather is, I've heard, not as bad but certainly more frightful to the populace. For more on the Cougars, read on.
• Washington State: We're on the road headed for Seattle ourselves, so we will post the WSU links and get back with you later with the Pac-10 items. If you're wondering where we were yesterday afternoon and evening, it was Thanksgiving. Well, not really, but as I will be on the road over the holiday, my wife and I had our Thanksgiving dinner last night. ... Due to that, I didn't link my advance to tonight's basketball game. Or my thoughts from practice – it was quick, there was no hitting, and the players couldn't wait to hit the road. We'll have more when we get a chance. But, speaking of football, assistant ops director Mike Kramer was officially named Idaho State's head coach yesterday. ... And athletic director Bill Moos had something to say about the Seattle game on his radio show yesterday. ... And there was this reaction to John Blanchette's column. ... The Seattle Times' Bud Withers has this advance.
• UPDATE NO. 2: Cougar reserve defensive back Chima Nwachukwu was named a second-team academic All-American. WSU's SID office has more.
• UPDATE: The update includes our Pac-10 links below. But I also wanted to reassure everyone the basketball game tonight vs. the University of Portland will go on as scheduled. I got an e-mail to that effect a few minutes ago and wanted to pass that on.
• Around the Pac-10: Finally got to Seattle. Flying in the winter, or at least in winter-like conditions, isn't nearly as fun as flying in September or October. ... We always let ESPN.com's Ted Miller share the conference's players of the week. ... He also looks back and ahead. ... Bob Clark's conference notebook has the first power ratings I've seen in a while without WSU 10th. ... If you want to keep up with the conference's early season basketball results, just read this. ... Washington: The Huskies have two games left. They have to win them both to earn a bowl berth. They think it will happen. ... Oregon State: The weather that hit the Puget Sound area also dumped snow in Corvallis. ... Oregon: The Ducks seniors feel they have a lot of work left. ... Cal: Grading the Bears' poor performance in the Big Game. ... Stanford: Jim Harbaugh is the newest hot coach, especially in San Francisco. ... USC: Another day, another problem with the student agent. ... UCLA: Could Norm Chow be looking for work soon? ... Arizona State: Brock Osweiler is getting a chance to lead the first-team offense. ... Arizona: The Wildcats are reduced to spoilers.
• That's all we've got for this morning. We'll be back before basketball with some notes. We'll also be available during the game on Twitter (vinceg55). Until then ...