COUGARS • UPDATED: 10 A.M.; 12:30 P.M.
For the first time in months, it's possible to spend your whole day reading and watching video of Pac-10 football. With plenty of Cougar stuff thrown in. If you want to spend your Friday that way, read on.
• UPDATE: Former Cougar guard Kyle Weaver was released by the Oklahoma City Thunder on Friday.
• UPDATE 2: The football practice schedule will be released soon but here are some notes for you. Until school starts (Aug. 23) practices will be at 8:30 a.m. Double days will go at 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. WSU will take off two Mondays, Aug. 16 and 23, and then Sunday, Aug. 29. During school, practices officially start at 3:45 p.m., but they usually get going about 20 minutes earlier. The first game is Sept. 4 at Oklahoma State. By the way, the improvements at the Rogers Field practice facility are pretty well done.
• Washington State: We posted some notes and the unedited version of our stories last night, but today we have the links to the pieces in the paper. There's the notebook along with the feature on Kevin Kooyman. ... Bud Withers of the Times also had a Cougar notebook. ... Cougfan had a freelancer at the media and he filed this report. ... An early look at Oklahoma State.
• Around the Pac-10: You can't do much better than the coverage Ted Miller put together on his Pac-10 blog for ESPN.com. Lots of videos and a few stories. ... Jon Wilner in San Jose examines the new TV contract's possibilities. ... The New York Times (the trip back east must have helped) weighs in with thoughts on the future divisional setup. ... The same issue from the San Francisco Chronicle. ... Was it Texas that killed a bigger conference expansion? ... Withers writes about USC coach Lane Kiffin, as does Dennis Dodd of CBSsports.com and so does Stewart Mandel from SI.com ... The LA Times has a notebook of the day's events. ... The Arizona Republic looks at the media poll. ... One more notebook, this one from the Arizona Daily Star. ... Washington: Bob Condotta talks with Steve Sarkisian about Kavario Middleton, Josh Shirley and more. ... Todd Milles' piece not only covers the Huskies, but looks at the Pac-10 changes as well. ... Oregon State: Mike Riley wants to play the California schools. ... Oregon: The Ducks have a huge target on their backs. ... George Schroeder writes in the Register-Guard that, surprisingly, Jeremiah Masoli doesn't even come up. ... Yes, Oregon is the favorite. ... Cal and Stanford: A notebook from the San Francisco Chronicle. ... USC: A couple of somewhat opposing views of first-year coach Lane Kiffin from the LA Times, from Bill Plaschke and from T.J. Simers. ... Quarterback Matt Barkley is in better shape. ... UCLA: Norm Chow is staying in Westwood for a while. ... Arizona State: Will ASU's offensive line be improved? ... Arizona: The Wildcats aren't bothered by being picked fifth. ... The basketball team loses 19 games in one day courtesy of the NCAA.
• That's it for this morning. We'll be back later in the day with our WSU story for tomorrow. Until then ...