A GRIP ON SPORTS
The weekend. Super Bowl weekend. College basketball weekend. Enough said. Read on.
• This is Super Bowl weekend and we want to know who you think will win. The poll above will end at noon tomorrow – or about 11 hours into the pregame show – so vote early. And here at A Grip, we don't just ask who will win, but we want to know how confident you are, hence the margin-of-victory aspect to the question. … We also have another poll at the bottom of this section, because we had this argument yesterday on the radio. What is the main course around which you build your entire Super Bowl menu? There is one choice for the college students out there if you are wondering. … As for today's sports, it's a big college basketball day, what with UCLA visiting the Palouse, Gonzaga facing a road game at Pepperdine sandwiched between showdowns with BYU (last Thursday) and St. Mary's (Thursday night in the Kennel), Eastern hosting Sacramento State with a goal of solidifying its spot in the Big Sky tourney and Idaho facing the WAC's best in Reno. We will be at the GU women's game with Kim early this afternoon, then heading up to Whitworth to cover the men's game against Pacific Lutheran for the S-R, so there won't be much in the way of Twitter coverage of either the GU or WSU games. You'll have to get along without our smarmy remarks.
• Gonzaga: The Zags must win today if they want to harbor any thoughts of catching St. Mary's (a possibility not many of you believe will happen) in the WCC. … Jim Meehan had his day-after BYU post yesterday and this S-R advance today. … BYU will take the momentum of the Gonzaga win into Portland today and try to make it two consecutive WCC wins. … Former Gonzaga coach Dan Monson's Long Beach State team has one more goal to reach. … St. Mary's is still No. 1 in this poll.
• Washington State: We don't have much to offer you here, mainly because Christian Caple has all the links covered in his morning post. … We do want call attention to Bud Withers' piece on Pac-12 recruiting, if only because of one paragraph: “But when a newspaper refers to a player as the 'No. 5 cornerback in the country,' that's a pretty sweeping, silly assumption, even if it's referencing what some scouting service believes. Can't we at least refer to him as the 'No. 5-rated cornerback?' “ Man, I had a young-but-wizened copy editor when I was just starting out that pounded such things into my head. Thanks Paul.
• Idaho: The Vandals are at Nevada and Josh Wright has some thoughts on Idaho's chances in this blog post. … The Pack's coach, David Carter, believes UI head man Don Verlin will be getting some extra help. … Utah State almost got Nevada on Thursday but must get past Fresno State tonight.
• Preps: The Idaho girls are starting their playoffs and Greg Lee was at Coeur d'Alene's 58-35 win over Lake City and Post Falls' 51-44 defeat of Lewiston. He has this story.
• Mariners: A couple blog posts as we get closer and closer to spring training – about a week now. First off, there is this one from Geoff Baker on Kyle Seager and then we have Larry LaRue's look at the American League West bullpens.
• Sounders: Seattle still has two players from the old USL days, Roger Levesque and Zach Scott. They don't play like old men.
• That's our report for this morning. As we said, we'll be at the Whitworth game tonight and will have a few tweets to keep you up to date. Until then …