A GRIP ON SPORTS
I'm going to keep it simple today. There is a reason and, if your want to know what it is, read on.
• I stayed up way too late last night, celebrating my birthday. Yep, it was almost 10 before I got my teeth brushed and after that ungodly hour before I climbed into bed. The hangover this morning from a way-too-large dinner and two – yes, two – pieces of ice-cream cake (the one on the right looks like mine) includes my head pounding and my insides rolling. I admit it. I'm too old to party that hard anymore. Live (I hope) and learn. About the only thing I really remember from last night – I think the last spoonful of frosting induced a blackout – was the Yankees losing. I remember because I thought there is no better birthday present for me and every other non-Yankee baseball fan in the world. After that, there are just bits and pieces of recollections of "The Voice" and the cat wanting to be fed. Oh, and one more thing. My sons gave me the same gift they gave me last Christmas. I hadn't opened it yet, so they just rewrapped it and left it on the dinner table. Who says the next generation isn't resourceful – and thrifty? But I do wonder if they thought about bidding on this for me. I wish.
• Washington State: Mondays in Pullman anymore are all about words. Words like corpse and zombie and patience from coach Mike Leach (right). Words from the players. Words on the depth chart. Christian Caple has all the coverage, starting with yesterday's blog post on the weekly press conference and continuing through this morning's post. In between he has a story on Connor Halliday earning Saturday's start and a first look at California. ... Some notes from the Pac-12, along with a power ranking.
• EWU: Freshman Shaquille Hill earned a couple honors thanks to a 99-yard kickoff return last week.
• Gonzaga: A couple of links for the Zags, one passed on from a Twitter follower and one I found myself. A couple of CBSSports.com writers pick the Zags to make it to the Final Four this season while an NBCSports.com writer wonders if they can live up to the hype.
• Idaho: Speaking of honors, Idaho kicker Trey Farquhar also earned some after his four-for-four performance. Josh Wright has more in this blog post. ... Josh also has the news of basketball center Kyle Barone's suspension in this post. ... The game of the week in the WAC is in San Jose.
• Seahawks: There are still things to learn from the Hawks win over Carolina on Sunday, and some things to like or dislike. ... The No. 1 defense in the NFL resides in Seattle – this week anyway – though it seems like the Hawks are asking a heck of a lot from it.
• That's our report for this Tuesday. This wild man has to take a break and recover from such a crazy night. Until tomorrow ...