Idaho football fans will get the first taste of the Vandals' 2013 season -- and Paul Petrino's head-coaching career -- this evening in Denton, Texas. The Vandals clash with the North Texas Mean Grean, a Conference USA team that went 4-8 in 2012 and is a 16-point favorite. Kickoff is 4 p.m. Pacific.
We've got lots to share after the link.
Our preview of the game for today's Spokesman-Review centers on the development of Paul Petrino's offensive style, from his days as a young assistant at Idaho working under Scott Linehan to his time at Southern Miss with Jeff Bower. An excerpt:
If you missed it on Thursday, we also had lots for the S-R's football preview issue, including this look at how Petrino is building the Idaho program with discipline and passion, these story lines, and a short story on impact freshman Richard Montgomery.
And here's a look at how Idaho has fared in season openers in the last decade. The last two openers under Robb Akey didn't go so well.
- 2012: 20-3 loss to Eastern Washington
- 2011: 32-15 loss to Bowling Green
- 2010: 45-0 win vs. North Dakota
- 2009: 21-6 win at New Mexico State
- 2008: 70-0 loss at Arizona
- 2007: 38-10 loss at USC
- 2006: 27-17 loss at Michigan State
- 2005: 38-26 loss at Washington State
- 2004: 65-7 loss at Boise State
- 2003: 25-0 loss at Washington State