A GRIP ON SPORTS
"The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." Read on.
• Ok, that is apropos of nothing, but you try to write interesting lead-ins 365 days a year. Some days it's just tough. So, today, I decided to quote George Constanza as a marine biologist. Seemed as good as any and I thought it would make you smile. By the way, the episode of "Seinfeld," with his short-lived girlfriend Dolores and the Junior Mints in the operating room was on local television here last night. A classic. Speaking of classics, I saw this video yesterday and laughed so hard I decided I had to share it with you folks. And, no, it's not a kitten trying to get down stairs or a foal walking for the first time. It's sports related. Well, sports-marketing related. Enjoy.
• Washington State: Tuesday is media day in Pullman and, of course, Christian Caple will be there. He'll have more on Ken Bone's press conference today but first he has his morning post. ... The big bombshell yesterday came from Los Angeles where USC fired basketball coach Kevin O'Neill. Once, when I asked Dick Bennett who he thought the best college basketball coaches were, he put O'Neill high on his list. He also thought O'Neill would be a good fit in Pullman. ... Bob Clark has his weekly Pac-12 notebook in the Register-Guard. ... Ted Miller reviews Washington State's football season.
• EWU: Weber State had little trouble with Idaho State last night in Pocatello.
• Preps: I found it interesting this story concerning Oregon and Oregon State's upcoming women's basketball game prominently mentioned two freshmen from the Inland Northwest.
• Seahawks: We're still learning lessons from Sunday's playoff loss to the Falcons. For example, it's better to go for it on fourth down from the 1-yard line. And the players appreciate playing in front of the Seattle fans. And they are still down in the dumps about losing. And the clock was not an issue (though how it was used may have been). And Russell Wilson is the foundation for the future (OK, we knew that already). Speaking of the future, the veterans are looking forward to it.
• Sounders: The offseason is nearly over. How did it go?
• That's our report today. Guess what? The lead-in did have a correlation to the post. A small one. As small as a golf ball. Until later ...