A GRIP ON SPORTS
Last night I ate a steak for dinner and watched an episode of “Columbo” prior to hitting the sack before 10. It's official. I have become my father. Read on.
• And on Mother's Day too. That explains the steak hot off the barbecue grill, but the “Columbo” episode takes a bit more clarification. As we were cleaning up the kitchen (my best asset in this endeavor is “moral support”), I turned on KXLY's digital channel, which is filled with old-time TV shows. Peter Falk was wondering around in his trench coat asking Jack Cassidy and his $14.95 hairpiece a bunch of seemingly inane questions. I was hooked. How can it be, after 40 years, a TV show still stands up? Yes, Columbo was ticked for being charged $6 for a bowl of chili in a fancy restaurant, but other than those “geez-things-were-cheap-in-those-days” asides (and some stiff acting from, of all people, Mickey Spillane), the plot worked. Even if the killer drove a VW bug.
• I wanted to thank everyone who took the time yesterday to point out how much they liked our Mother's Day idea. (And I also want to thank everyone who didn't like it, saw me and kept their mouth shut.) Kim and I were out and about yesterday – everything from a basketball tournament to a nursery to a supermarket – and we ran into a few people who just wanted to talk. That's cool. And appreciated. Just like all of the responses. We'll have to do it again sometime.
• WSU: A couple Washington State-related links turned up today from out of the blue, including a wrapup of spring football. … The Chicago Bears think they may have made the steal of the draft in a seventh-round wide receiver. … A Cougar won a Pac-12 track title in an event a WSU women hadn't won before.
• Chiefs: The WHL season is officially over and the best team, as it's been all season, is the Portland Winterhawks. The league's sanctions really put a dent in their chances, huh?
• Mariners: Joe Saunders (pictured) is Sandy Koufax in Seattle. He is Joe Moeller on the road. No one, least of all “Safeco Joe,” can explain it. But who cares right now? Let's just enjoy another of his great home outings in the M's 6-1 defeat of the Oakland A's. … The win left the Mariners just a half-game out of second place in the American League West, hence our poll this morning. … The offense was perked up, for one day at least, by a lineup tweak from Eric Wedge. He dropped Kendrys Morales and Mike Morse one spot in the order and it paid dividends immediately, with Morales hitting a three-run home run in the first inning.
• As you can see, the pickings were pretty thin today. Oh well, there is always tomorrow. Until then …