FROM PULLMAN — Today marks Washington State's final practice before it faces Idaho on Saturday. It is also my mother's 58th birthday. What does this mean for the Cougars? Likely not much. But it is a fine day nonetheless. Read on for links.
– Actually, I did find a statistical note about Sept. 19: since my mom was born, the Cougars are 4-2 on her birthday. Their most recent win on this date was the 33-30 overtime victory over SMU in 2009. So, there you have it.
(It's also the birthday of S-R staff photographer Tyler Tjomsland's mother, Patti. That is our final Longview note, I promise.)
– Here's our story in today's newspaper about Eric Russell and his Idaho beginnings. Our Pac-12 picks are contained within.
– And a blog post with some notes and quotes from Wednesday's practice.
– Here's a story about Jeff Tuel learning a new system in the NFL.
– Former Washington coach Don James is beginning chemotherapy treatments for a malignant tumor on his pancreas.
– Arizona State coach Todd Graham, along with ASU's athletic director, agreed to contract extensions.
– Arizona running back Ka'Deem Carey's season in photos.
– A new approach has been paying off for USC's defense.
– UCLA's defense is right in step with its uptempo offense.
– Have a question for California coach Sonny Dykes? Ask it!
– A Stanford cornerback won't play against ASU this weekend.
– Storm Woods felt plenty of love from Oregon State fans after suffering a concussion.
– Oregon doesn't slow down for anything — not even bye weeks.
– A Colorado receiver is benefiting from the return of Paul Richardson.
– Here's a position breakdown of Utah's game against BYU.
– Also, this is insane.