A GRIP ON SPORTS
This is going to be quick. Thank goodness Monday was not a real busy day. Read on.
• We are at the Spokane airport headed out of town for a bit of fun. I know, the guy who does this column and fun don't belong together. But for the next couple days, ya. So I have a plane to catch and only a little time. We'll get right to the links. Tomorrow, I'll have some comments. I promise.
• WSU: Jacob Thorpe isn't going anywhere today (I don't think) but it doesn't matter. He has plenty of items in the paper and on the blog. The most prominent of those is his story this morning on the new football players on campus. A half-dozen will be joining the team for spring practice. He has more on the blog with this post as well as a recap of Cougar Calls with Mike Marlow (filling in for Bill Moos). … Jacob also has a morning post with links. … Colorado got the bad news yesterday. One of its stars is out for the season. … Despite an upset of Oregon, Jon Wilner says Stanford's Johnny Dawkins (pictured) is still on the hot seat.
• Gonzaga: The Zags dropped from the AP poll this week but stayed in the coaches' top-25. … Former Gonzaga star Courtney Vandersloot has made the first cut toward the Olympic team. … University of Portland women's basketball coach Jim Sollars will retire at the end of the season.
• EWU: Though there is little in the way of Eagle news – Venky Jois was the Big Sky co-player of the week – there was a conference game last night. Northern Arizona won.
• Seahawks: There are a million stories in the coffee city, and most of them – this week at least – revolve around Sunday's matchup with the San Francisco 49ers. The Niners, as my dad used to call them, understand what they are facing come this weekend in Seattle. … Russell Wilson doesn't have the stats some of the other elite quarterbacks in the NFL have. But he has a bunch of wins. That matters. He spoke with the media yesterday. That matters to me. … Mike Holmgren (pictured) has become a fan of this team. And he now understands why everyone in Seattle seems to be too. … Will Percy Harvin be available? No one knows. Not even Pete Carroll, who met with the media and spoke on the radio. Carroll is happy to see two NFC West teams in the conference title game.
• OK, time to go. Until later …