A GRIP ON SPORTS
I was greeted this morning with a Father's Day breakfast in bed. Three eggs, perfectly over easy, ham, bacon and sausage. Crisp hash browns, aromatic coffee, lightly buttered rye toast and, lest I forget, doughnuts. Mounds and mounds of hot, fresh, greasy doughnuts. And then I woke up. What a dream. Read on.
• Yep, it's Father's Day and we want you to be able to read and enjoy all the reader memories you were so nice to share with us. So we won't be writing anything here. But we did add our own story to lead off your Father Day's memories, so there's that.
• WSU: Not a lot here but we do have some national championship news. The Oregon Ducks won the men's track and field title yesterday. At home.
• EWU: The Canadian Football League isn't where every college football player dreams of being right after college, but it is where some of our local players have ended up. Jim Allen has this nice feature on playing in the league.
• Shock: Erik Meyer played. But by the time the AFL's best quarterback came in for the first time since his broken collarbone a few weeks ago, the Shock were already too far behind. San Jose picked up the home win, 47-37.
• Indians: Hey, the Indians are 2-0. They won again last night, 5-3 over Eugene. Chris Derrick has the story.
• Seahawks: The recently finished OTAs may have been a coming-out party for one Hawk.
• Mariners: The most recent losing streak hit five last night, all at home. At least this time the M's scored some runs in a 4-3 loss to Texas. But it wasn't enough. ... Lloyd McClendon won't panic, not about the losses and not about the inability to get a bunt down. ... Ryan Divish has his power rankings and a baseball notebook in the Times. ... There isn't as much help as one would hope in the minor league system. Though Jesus Montero is back and he hit fourth last night. And Taijuan Walker had his best outing yet.
• Sounders: The Sounders have thought about appealing Obafemi Martins' red card but there really isn't very good video of the play. A major league sport without video of an on-field incident? How can that be in this day and age? Maybe the MLS still has a ways to go? ... DeAndre Yedlin is ready for his first World Cup game. Clint Dempsey has played in a bunch of them. ... The Sounders will play the U.S. Open Cup during the MLS's World Cup break. They got back to work yesterday.
• You didn't think I was going to ignore the biggest moment in sports yesterday? No, we're not talking about Italy's win over England, though that was big. We're talking about UCI's 3-1 come-from-behind upset of mighty Texas at the College World Series. Scrappy darn Anteaters. If I had been there, they would have lost. Until later ...