Arrow-right Camera
Photo galleries

The Spokesman-Review tower

Few people get to visit the tower rooms of the 1891 Review Tower, which was designed by architect Chauncey B. Seaton “to be the most conspicuous building in town.” Seaton designed it in 1890 for the owners of the Spokane Falls Review, Harvey Scott, Henry Pittock and Anthony Cannon, who wanted it to be the tallest building in town, which it was, at 165 feet. The tower, at the corner of Monroe Street and Riverside Avenue, was shaped so that building jutted into the path of Riverside Avenue and appears to sit in the middle of the street, when viewed from the east end of downtown Spokane. The main building, along with the 1983 Spokesman-Review building next door, is seven stories, but the tower rises more than two tall stories above that. The space in the tower, except for one office, is not used for daily business by the owners, the Cowles family.