Two icons of Spokane’s Garland District are Mary Lou’s Milk Bottle and Ferguson’s Cafe, 804 W. Garland Ave.
The 38-foot-high Milk Bottle was built in 1935 by Benewah Creamery, of Spokane, in a style known as literalism in advertising. The creamery was started in Idaho’s Benewah County, both of which were named after a Coeur d’Alene Indian chief. The milk bottle was only 15 feet in diameter originally, and was used to sell creamery products. The location was along the original highway north out of Spokane. The building was enlarged in 1940. A duplicate milk bottle building is located at 321 S. Cedar St.
Directions to the next stop: Ferguson’s Cafe
39 ft away
Head west on W Garland Ave toward N Lincoln St