1889-90: Designed by Kirtland Cutter for James Glover, the “Father of Spokane” who founded the town of Spokane Falls in 1873. Although built of granite and half timbering the house possesses qualities of the Shingle Style, which developed on the East Coast in the 1880s, but is rare in the Northwest. In addition to its exterior form with roofs sweeping down to the ground, the “living hall” containing the main staircase, a fireplace and comfortable seating as well as a balcony overlooking it, is characteristic of the style. In the 1970s, part of the site was sold for the building of a Unitarian church and the house served as church offices. It is now a milieu for weddings and catered events.
Directions to the next stop: Site of Kirtland Cutter’s Chalet
0.4 mi away
Head west on W 8th Ave toward S Washington St
W 8th Ave turns slightly right and becomes S Washington St
Turn left onto W 6th Ave
Turn left at the 1st cross street onto S Stevens St
Turn right at the 1st cross street onto W 7th Ave