Moore Turner Heritage Gardens
These gardens recreated in 2004-7 originated as the setting for the F. Rockwood Moore House designed by Cutter in 1889. In 1911, while Senator George Turner owned the house, he hired the Portland landscape architect Hugh Bryan to make improvements, including the addition of a tea house, two tiered pergola and arbors. With the help of grants and gifts and a major donation from Myrtle Woldson, the site opened in 2007. Its rose garden, perennial borders and water feature flourish on the steep hillside. It is owned and operated by the Spokane Parks and Recreation Department.
F. Rockwood Moore House (demolished)
The F. Rockwood Moore House 1889, built for the Moore the first president of the Washington Water Power Company, demonstrated Cutter’s desire to build houses low in the landscape, appearing as if they had grown gradually over the years. Responding to a site strewn with rough basalt, he used the same materials for the lower walls. The public condemned the design, but when an East Coast dignitary touring Spokane praised it, the architect’s reputation recovered.
Directions to the next stop: D. C. Corbin house
1 ft away