Union Pacific and Milwaukee Trestle
The Union Pacific and Milwaukee Railroad main lines accessed the Kendall Yards from the west via the former Northern Pacific and Milwaukee Trestle. The Trestle, locally known as High Bridge, carried rail traffic east and west of Spokane over the Spokane River, Latah Creek and land which became High Bridge Park from 1881 to the 1970s.
The Kendall Yard round house and yards provided switching operations for heavy rail traffic between Seattle and Minneapolis and communities in Canada and to the south of Spokane.
High Bridge was of iron girder construction, supported by concrete abutments set in the Spokane River bed. The High Bridge was abandoned and demolished in the 1970s.
A number of the bridge girders can be seen beneath the water of the Spokane River from the Sandifur Bridge and the former High Bridge river abutments remain fixed to the riverbed.
Directions to the next stop: High Bridge Park
2.0 mi away
Head west on W Main Ave toward N Monroe St
Take the 1st left onto N Monroe St
Take the 1st right onto W Riverside Ave
Take the 1st right to stay on W Riverside Ave
Turn left onto S Maple St
Turn right onto W 2nd Ave
Slight left onto W Sunset Blvd
Continue onto S Inland Empire Way
Slight right onto S Coeur D Alene St
Take the 2nd right onto W 11th Ave
W 11th Ave turns right and becomes High Bridge Park