The Review Building was erected in 1891 to house one of the competing newspapers of the day. W.H. Cowles, publisher of the Spokesman newspaper, acquired the building in the economic downturn of 1893, and renamed his paper as The Spokesman-Review, which has operated continuously since then under the ownership of the Cowles family. The Romanesque-influenced eclectic architecture was the work of Alabama-born Chauncey B. Seaton. The seven stories, peaked roof and soaring tower are done with red pressed brick and Montana granite. Note the octagonal brick piers, ornamented lintels, curved windows and brick pattern work. The tower windows have a view north up Monroe Street.
Directions to the next stop: Spokane Club
361 ft away
Head northwest on W Riverside Ave toward N Monroe St