Great Northern Depot Tower
The Great Northern Depot Tower is about all that remains from the era of railroading that occupied what is now Riverfront Park, the site of the Expo ‘74 world’s fair. When the depot was demolished in the early 1970s, designers found matching brick to re-face the section of the tower exposed by demolition. Spokane owes much of its growth and power as a regional commercial center to the decision of the railroads to locate their division points and maintenance facilities here. The city had three major rail yards, only one of which remains along East Trent Avenue at Parkwater. The cross-continent Empire Builder passenger train passed through here daily. The 1902 depot was considered the finest west of Chicago.
Source: City of Spokane, Spokesman-Review
Directions to the next stop: Northern Pacific Railway depot
0.5 mi away
Head southwest on N Stevens St toward W Spokane Falls Blvd
Turn left onto W 1st Ave
Turn right to stay on W 1st Ave