OUTPROFIT – Why should a fisherman work when there are so many opportunities to angle for dollars? Among them:
• Mack Days, March 15-May 19 at Flathead Lake, with up to $150,000 in cash and prizes.
Benson’s brother, Steven Benson of Four Lakes is no slouch at lake-trouting, having turned in more than 500 fish during this spring’s event alone.
Contestants remove about 50,000 lake trout from Flathead during the spring and fall derbies organized by the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes – and biologists say even more needs to be done to control the big mack population.
• K&K Spring Derby, April 20-May 5 at Lake Pend Oreille, with a $15,000 payout including $2,500 for the top rainbow.
Info: (509) 209-3608; email, rmilliken2004 @yahoo.com.
• Pikeminnow Rewards, May 1-Sept. 30 on the Snake and Columbia rivers, paying $4-8 for each fish caught and turned in to check stations, plus tagged fish worth up to $500.
• Lake Trout Reward on Lake Pend Oreille continues to offer a $15 bounty for each head of a mackinaw turned into collection stations.
Info: (208) 769-1414.
Bike Swap nets $20K for trail
OUTSTANDING – The second-annual Spokane Bike Swap, held April 13-15 at Spokane County Fair and Expo Center, raised $20,000 for the Friends of the Centennial Trail, said Loreen McFaul, the group’s executive director. That’s more than double the amount raised last year.
The swap attracted more than 2,000 people and 600 used bikes were registered to sell, not to mention the wares of 40 vendors.
Learn how floods scoured scablands
OUTFLOOD – “Anatomy of Cheney- Palouse Scabland Tract,” a free lecture by geologist Gene Kiver, will be presented by the Ice Age Floods Institute, 7 p.m., on Friday at the JFK Library Auditorium, Eastern Washington University, Cheney campus.
• Sign-up for Saturday’s Ice Age Floods annual field trip, which involves a bus tour from Lake Steptoe Ridge to the headwaters of Rock Creek. Cost: $55-$70.
Info: Melanie Bell, (509) 954-4242.
Jet boat races set on St. Joe River
OUTBLAST – The first annual Race the Joe jet boat event is set for May 17-19 based out of St. Maries, Idaho.
Info: href=”http://www.facebook.com/racethejoe”>facebook.com /racethejoe
I know it’s only rock ’n’ roll, but I like it when politicians decide to use familiar tunes as a sound track to their events, which might mean different things ...
Our most recent story about prolific Washington State wide receiver Gabe Marks tells the story of a particularly insightful interview we had last spring. That story, "Gabe Marks is a ...
I'm facing another weekend of fence-building with my neighbor. Once we get the back fence built, I have one last honey-do item on the agenda and then it's kick back ...
S-R intern Tyson Bird brought cookies to work on his last day with us. It has been a pleasure to have him here. I first printed a column submission from ...
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.