Following are questions touching on subjects of importance to hikers. Answers at end.
1.) The least likely places to find public hiking trails are:
- A. National forests and parks.
- B. State parks and wildlife areas
- C. Farms and ranches.
- D. BLM areas and wildlife refuges.
2.) The safest refuge in a lightning storm is:
A. Under a tall tree.
B. In a car.
C. In a boat.
D. Under a rock ledge.
3.) For the safety of wildlife and other visitors, hikers should avoid:
- A. Taking photos of critters.
- B. Feeding wildlife or leaving food or garbage unattended.
- C. Skinny dipping.
- D. Eating chocolate.
4.) A factor known to trigger dangerous wolf encounters is:
- A. Hiking with unleashed dogs.
- B. Eating barbecue-flavored potato chips.
- C. Wearing perfume.
- D. Building campfires.
5.) When meeting horseback riders on a trail, the hiker should:
- A. Keep walking.
- B. Yell and wave arms.
- C. Step off the downhill side of the trail unless the terrain makes this difficult or dangerous.
- D. Turn and run away.
6.) The most reliable defense against a grizzly attack is:
- A. Pepper spray.
- B. .357 magnum pistol.
- C. 100 percent DEET repellant.
- D. Bear spray.
7.) Which of the following is NOT one of the 10 Essentials that should be in every hiker’s pack?
8.) What should every hiker do before heading out on a trek?
- A. Check weather forecast
- B. Check for road and trail conditions.
- C. Leave a trip itinerary with a friend or family member.
- D. All of the above.
ANSWERS: 1-C. 2-B. 3-B. 4-A. 5-C. 6-D. 7-A. 8-D.
Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.
You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.comments powered by Disqus
Most recent column
The 2000 Idaho Legislature declared huckleberries the state fruit. But like potatoes, Washington has its share of the delicious purple berries prized for pies, pancakes, muffins, ice cream, jam, wine and just about anything else that needs a touch of tart sweetness. The huckleberry season …
Recent blog posts
WILDLIFE WATCHING -- Here's a great glimpse into the versatility in hunting and feeding skills of a great blue heron, known to eat a lot of fish and amphibians geared ...
WILDLIFE WATCHING -- Birder/photographer Ron Dexter has made sure improvements to his property in the foothills of Mount Spokane haven't spoiled the neighborhood for some of his most colorful neighbors. ...