Don’t let relatives or friends get lazy, trash your house, empty your refrigerator and fry your patience when they visit during summer vacations. Get them out:
• Biking paved trails, such as Fish Lake, Centennial and Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes
• Inner tubing Spokane or North Fork of Coeur d’Alene rivers
• Picking berries near Priest or Sullivan lakes or Lookout Pass
• Day hiking to the top of Mount Spokane or through Turnbull National Wildlife Refuge
• Stand-up paddle boarding on any of the many area lakes with rentals available from stores like REI and Mountain Gear
• Paddling canoes or kayaks down the Little Spokane River
• Rafting Clark Fork River whitewater through Alberton Gorge
• Climbing at Sheilds Park (Minnehaha Rocks)
• Fly fishing the St. Joe River
• Shooting sporting clays at Double Barrel Ranch
• Photgraphing mountain goats on Scotchman Peak
• Spokane Parks and Recreation offers kayak, canoe and paddle board trips on area rivers and lakes from $29-$50 per person. Contact: (509) 363-5418, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• ROW Adventures offers a splashy one-day whitewater rafting trip through the Alberton Gorge area of the Clark Fork River at $79-$96 per person. Contact: (208) 765-0841.
• Kayak Coeur d’Alene rents kayaks and paddle boards and delivers the vessels free for renters to the north shore of Lake Coeur d’Alene. Contact: (208) 676-1533.
Most recent column
The curtain has opened on the last act in the Columbia River system’s “Year of the Salmon.” The performance began with good returns of spring chinook followed by this summer’s post-dams record returns of sockeye and a great showing of coho. Now the big stars …
Recent blog posts
ENDANGERED SPECIES -- A northeastern Washington wolf pack so new it hasn't been formally recognized has been confirmed in a livestock attack in Ferry County, state wildlife officials announced today. ...
PUBLIC LANDS -- Illia Dunes recreation area on the Snake River is in the process of being reopened today after U.S. Corps of engineers staff and select volunteers cleaned-up trash ...