Outdoors

Tubbs Hill main trail getting an upgrade this fall

Tony A. Tubbs, an immigrant from Germany, came to North Idaho in 1882 and filed a claim that included a large portion of what is now Tubbs Hill. The hill consists of 135 acres of publicly owned land.

Tubbs Hill was obtained through four separate purchases that spanned a period of over 40 years. The first 33 acres were purchased in 1936 for $19,000. It was not until 1969 that the second purchase was made for 34 additional acres. At that time, Tubbs Hill was dedicated to the people forever. In 1974, 34 more acres were purchased and yet another 34 acres were added in 1977.

The trails on Tubbs Hill have always been somewhat difficult to navigate, but according to Bill Greenwood, interim parks director and superintendent for the Coeur d’Alene Parks Department, plans are in the works to upgrade the main trail on the east side of the hill this fall. The parks department is currently awaiting Idaho Transportation Department approval for a $35,000 grant for the project.

“Our goal is to have an accessible trail” that can be accessed by the elderly or even a wheelchair, says Greenwood.

“What this will do for those who have difficulty walking is that it affords them the luxury to get out there and enjoy the serene lake.”



Click here to comment on this story »






Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile