Father’s Day – next Sunday, in case you forgot – is an annual chance to give Dad some great outdoors gear. As a father myself (and a gear freak), I offer these gift suggestions.
1. Stainless Steel Growler – The Hydro Flask Insulated Water Bottle & Beer Growler can tote H2O or a microbrew. It has 64 ounces of capacity and a leak-proof cap. The double-wall vessel keeps a cool beverage cold for 12 hours outdoors in the summer heat. $49.99, www.hydroflask.com
2. Puck-Size Speaker – It’s just a couple of inches across, but the JBL Clip produces excellent audio for its small size. A carabiner-style clip lets you attach it anywhere, and the little unit syncs with a phone’s music library via Bluetooth or an old-fashioned headphone cable jack. $49.95, www.jbl.com
3. Mega Multi-tool – Go big! The Leatherman Surge weighs three-quarters of a pound and has more than 20 implements to cut, pry, strip, saw or screw open. It comes with the largest pliers and longest blades Leatherman offers in a multi-tool. $110, www.leatherman.com
4. Tiny “Satellite Tracker” – The SPOT Trace is a 2-inch-wide module that gives “theft-alert tracking” via a satellite network. Attach the Trace to a boat, vehicle or bike so it can be tracked via Google maps on a smartphone, which links to GPS coordinates that the device transmits if it is moved. $74.95 (plus required service plan), www.findmespot.com
5. Power Stick – Recharge a dead phone or small gadget in the field with an immediate charge from the Goal Zero Switch 8. It’s about the size
of a roll of quarters. $39.99, www.goalzero.com